Common English Mistakes and Mix-ups: Emigrate from, Immigrate to


Emigrate means to leave one country to live in another.

My great-grandparents emigrated from Russia in the early 1900s.

Immigrate means to enter another country to live there.

My great-grandparents immigrated to the US in the early 1900s.

What helps me remember this? When you emigrate you EXIT your old country (both begin with e), but when you immigrate you go INto a new country (both begin with i).

image taken from:


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s